Well-Ahead and the Louisiana Department of Education Award 15 Schools Mini-Grants
Fifteen schools across Louisiana have been awarded $5,000 each to support healthier schools and create school environments that are conducive healthy eating. A total of 47 schools applied for the Louisiana Team Nutrition mini-grant. Congratulations to the following schools!
- Bains Elementary, West Feliciana Parish
- Bains Lower Elementary, West Feliciana Parish
- Bayou Chicot Elementary, Evangeline Parish
- Evangeline Elementary, Lafayette Parish
- Iota Elementary, Acadia Parish
- KIPP Believe Primary, Orleans Parish
- Mary D. Coghill Charter, Orleans Parish
- Northside High, Lafayette Parish
- Opelousas High, St. Landry Parish
- Raintree Elementary, St. Mary Parish
- ReNew Schaumburg Elementary, Orleans Parish
- Rosenwald Elementary, Pointe Coupee Parish
- Stephensville Elementary, St. Martin Parish
- Valverda Elementary, Iberville Parish
- W. Smith Jr. Elementary, St. Bernard Parish
In addition to these mini-grants, Well-Ahead Louisiana and the Louisiana Department of Education are offering regional Smarter Lunchrooms trainings for all Louisiana school food service professionals, as well as a culinary skills training series focused on enhancing food preparation skills and knowledge of school food service professionals. To register for the upcoming trainings, click here.
Did You Know?
- Research shows that students who participate in the school meal programs consume more milk, fruits, and vegetables during meal than nonparticipants.
- Eating breakfast at school is associated with better attendance rates, fewer missed school days, and better test scores.
- Meals served at school must meet specific nutrition requirements.
MOVING LOUISIANA’S HEALTH FORWARD
Are you interested in supporting a healthier school nutrition environment? There are many ways you can help! Offer to participate in taste tests or other nutrition promotion activities in a school's cafeteria. Join a school or school district wellness committee! These committees often determine health and wellness policies for the school or district. Be sure language about school meal programs is included. Thank a school nutrition staff for preparing healthy meals for students. Work with parents and school staff to provide special recognition for the school nutrition staff for serving healthy meals. Review school menus with your child and encourage them to try new menu items. Email wellaheadla.gov to learn about an opportunity near you!